Monday, May 6, 2013

EVERYONE IS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE GREAT


WRITING A NOVEL:  START TO FINISH, ENTRY THIRTEEN

EVERYONE IS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE GREAT
 
 

 

            Finally!  It’s been a great week writing on TUG.  I’ve surpassed the 10,000 word mark which seems like a big deal, even if it’s just a number.  But 10,000 words sure sounds like progress.  I’ve introduced, physically I mean (he’s been spoken of) my antagonist.  Jimmy Snadus is a wonderful piece of shit.  As I’m writing it I just want to bring him to life and kick his ass.  So that’s good. 

            Taking a step away, as mentioned in the previous post, has really helped.  So I’m to be doing that from here on out.  Screw my self-imposed deadlines.  Why force the issue?  I’m at a point in the story I hadn’t really thought about so I need to think.  And that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it?  Letting the story breath on its own.  No CPR, no AED device.  If it dies, it dies.  Hopefully, each weak it takes another breath and keeps kicking it with me.  Hopefully, each and every week I want to kick Jimmy Snadus’ ass.  And maybe you will someday as well.  Fuck him, right? 

            Apart from creating a good antagonist I wrote something very sweet.  I’ve had sweet moments in my fiction before, but the difference with this developing story line is it’s ultimately about life.  Nurturing.  Growth.  Love.  Fatherhood and responsibility.  So, in keeping balance, I’ve also introduced Harry, a boy that Thaddeus is going to mentor.  I wrote a scene I’m a bit shy to admit, made my eyes water.  It’s a genuine sweet moment.  A moment I wish I would have had as a child. 

I also nailed my through line.  Sure, it was always there from the beginning but when Thaddeus tells Harry:  He grasped Harry’s shoulders.  “Look at me.  Look at me, boy.  But I can promise you this:  everyone is good enough, good enough to be great.”  It kicks up the characters, the goals, the spirit of what I’m trying to accomplish.  It left me with a sense of elation.

Let’s be honest here:  I WANT TO BELIEVE I’M GOOD ENOUGH TO BE GREAT. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment